Working in Canada

Foreign students may be allowed to work while attending school. But jobs may be difficult to find in Canada, so you should not count on getting one.

You may be allowed to work if you meet one of the following requirements:

  • you want to work as a graduate assistant;
  • your employment is part of a course of study, such as a work term during the year, as in cooperative programs;
  • you want to work on campus; or
  • you want to work after graduation in a study-related job for up to one year.

Your spouse may also be allowed to apply for an employment authorization. A CIC official can give you details on working in Canada as a foreign student.

If you work without an employment authorization, you may be in violation of the Immigration Act, and you may be required to leave Canada.  

Chinese Version

?????         ???